Monday, May 1, 2017

Transcriptions Series: First Painting

Lokah Samastah 12" x 12"
Transcriptions Series #1


The Prayer: Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
Transcriptions Series


In the first painting of the series I knew I wanted to pull together the elements of the book, a prayer, a strip of canvas cloth, and Sanskrit writing. I was a bit hesitant to begin after spending months preparing these elements and researching historical references. I had immersed myself in the world of prayer and ancient books.

At first I thought I might create a series with very little color. I was leaning towards shades of greys, tans, and white... a stark painting palette. Although I love painting with color, I am drawn to artwork with minimal or no color. Before beginning the Transcriptions Series, it crossed my mind to do a series in which I completed two canvases for each design... one without much color and one with color. It was with this inner dialog that I chose the color palette for the first painting.

I decided to attach a strip of fiber-filled paper to add some texture and break up the background space. It started out lighter and then darkened the painted surface once I played with the overall layout with the book.






With some trial and error, I chose the layout of book and canvas strip. After painting these pieces, I added the text and some sheet music of the Lokah Samastah chant. Then all the elements were attached.

The text on the visible pages of the book, are:
“May all beings be happy. May all beings be safe. May all beings awaken to the light of their true nature. May all beings be free. May all beings be peaceful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment